The school year is coming to a close and many of us have loved ones who are graduating (whether it's from preschool, grade school, high school, or college) and moving on to the next step in life. I love it. A milestone in life signifying completion of one thing and a new beginning of another. Graduates you may think you are done but oh no, this is just the beginning. As you embark on your next journey in life here are a few pieces of advice:
1. Love what you do. Be passionate about whatever you do. Live for the now, not for the future.
2. Be Kind. Kindness is contagious. Smile at the stranger walking by, open a door for someone. If everyone made an effort to just be kind this world would be a better place.
3. Continue to learn. You may never step foot into another classroom but always want to know more. Read, take classes, learn a new skill. Never lose that will to want to know more.
4. Shake it off (cue the Taylor Swift melody in your head). Don't sweat the small stuff. Seriously, don't. Life is too short to get worked up about little things.
5. You don't have to do everything. We all want to do it all but let's be honest- it's exhausting and usually means you don't put your best effort into everything you're doing. Prioritize and it's ok to say no sometimes.
6. But don't be afraid to try new things. Don't use the above piece of advice as an excuse to stay in your comfort zone. We tell children they have to try their food or otherwise, "how will they know if they like it?". Well, now life is your plate and you'll miss out on some really cool things if you're afraid to take that first bite.
7. It's ok not to know what the next step is. You Graduated. Now what? It's ok not to know. It's not ok to not do anything about it. Don't get complacent with where you are in life. Travel, find your passion, knock a couple things off your bucket list but don't use not knowing what you want to do as an excuse to do nothing.
8. Be You! Be true to yourself and that is when you will look back on life and feel that you were "successful". You could have all the money in the world but if you are not yourself something will always be missing...YOU! Figure you out first and then everything else will fall into place.
9. Say "Thank You!" You couldn't have made it this far without some help. Make sure to let your loved ones know how thankful you are for their support.
10. Have fun! You're a Graduate! Celebrate! Enjoy life today and always!
Congrats Graduates! Good luck on your next steps in life!